Sunday, March 2, 2014

5 things I have learned my first week in Tennessee.

1. The weather is crazy. We can go from 65 degrees to the 20's in a single day. This happened today. When we arrived to church this AM, it was too warm for me to wear my wool coat. When we came out of church a couple of hours later, I needed that coat as it was around 35 degrees. Tonight will be in the low 20's with a 'wintry' mix.. whatever that is. If there is any kind of 'crazy' weather coming down the pike, everyone freaks out and every loaf of bread,  dozen eggs, and gallon of milk will be sold out in stores. Not kidding.


2. Coming from WA state where recycling is a religion, it has been interesting to say the least how Tennessee deals with their garbage/recycling. When I called to ask about it, I didn't have to go through a menu, I spoke to a live person, and I am allowed to put out as much garbage/recycling as I want for the first 2 weeks for free since we just moved in. After that, I need to go buy a tag to put on any extra bags of garbage, and that costs $1 per bag. Also, there are no recycling bins. Or yard waste bins. Or schedules for either. I had to buy 'blue' bags from the store, which are for recycling.( 30 gallon hefty bags that are BLUE)  I can put as many 'blue' bags out as I want each Wednesday and they will pick them up. Same for yard waste, I can put out as many paper yard waste bags as I want and they will pick them ALL up on Wednesdays. If things do not fit in the paper yard waste bags, we are to just stack them by the curb, no maximum limb size, or bundles required. However, they do not take glass in the 'blue' bags.. you have to drive them to a glass drop off site. (?!)

3. Tennessee has backwards cement trucks. These bother me.


4. Everyone is your friend. I love going anywhere-- random people strike up conversations and give advice etc. wherever you go. I love it. I have met some really neat people in just the week I have been here.

5. So many BIRDS! I wake up each morning to the birds singing in the trees and the sun shining. It has been  exciting seeing all  new species of birds in our yard. Since most trees in Tennessee are deciduous, we can see all of the birds nests in the trees. In our yard alone we have counted 5 nests!  Our family loves the Cardinals and the Grackles the best. We are looking forward to summer time when we get an even larger assortment of birds.






No comments:

Post a Comment