Monday, December 2, 2013

Purging.

You never know how much stuff you have until you move. Moving for me was a forcing function.I look at it and think- "Do I want to lug that to TN?" Nope. "Can I replace it if I need it?" Absolutely.

 I hold onto things for waaaaay longer than I should, because I am a sentimental sap.
When I first started to clean out kids rooms for the move, I found Dylan's crib bedding. I *did* have a plan to make her a quilt with it, but seeing as I sold my sewing machine, that isn't going to happen. I also found a box of tiny DK shoes. I had no idea we still had them. They should have been passed down years ago.

A source of "humorous contention" in our household is my childhood bike. It is a mid 70's, electric blue, sparkly banana seat, 3 speeded Schwinn. I will never ride it again. My kids will never ride it. But, I am not willing to part with it. It has been carted from apartment to house, to apartment, to house and to house... for 20+ years. Well, a couple of days ago, I came thisclose to breaking up with it. Apparently, there is quite the market  on eBay, and I was tempted. Really tempted. The joke has been for years that we should just hang it on the wall.
I do have a different Schwinn mounted above my mantle currently, so I have promised that it will go away, and the blue Schwinn will move to that place of honor in TN. See, compromise!

I am afraid the poor people at the Goodwill drop off dread seeing me pull up in my little blue Corolla, crammed full. My Mom came over last week and had a SUV for her rental car, so we were able to take a larger load, for which I am thankful!
Dropped another load off today, and packed up books in the office until I ran out of boxes. It feels good to either pack stuff, or get rid of it. As I walk around the house all I can think of is "can I get rid of that?!" I am worried whether or not a 32 foot trailer will REALLY hold our entire household. I know people do it all the time, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the reality of all my earthly possessions fitting into that ONE trailer...


I cleaned out the attic and purged much of the holiday stuff I don't use, and found some dishes for my sister in law.

I am excited that my trip to Franklin for the Christmas Party is rapidly approaching- only 11 more days! I only wish  I had thought about it more and booked my return trip on Monday. I will only have 1 full day there, and it would cost $200 to change it. Boo.However, I am going to focus on the blessing of the opportunity to fly down and see him, and that he is coming home for Christmas just a couple weeks later!

No comments:

Post a Comment